Almost everybody does a research about rhinoplasty before undergoing the surgery, and from that research you must have come across the importance of the rhinoplasty recovery.
What to expect in your rhinoplasty recovery period
After you wake up from surgery, your first thought that comes to your mind is: I need a mirror! When you look at the mirror, you will see a lot of swelling & bruising all over your face, but don’t be scared because it’s normal. You will also see a splint covering your nose which will protect it and keep it safe for the next week or so. There might also be nasal packing in your nose and underneath it, to help reduce the bleeding and swelling.
What should you do in your rhinoplasty recovery period?
1) In your rhinoplasty recovery period, the most important thing is to follow your doctor’s orders: don’t miss your medications, drink a lot of fluids, eat healthy and avoid food high in sodium (salt), don’t smoke, don’t sleep on your side and keep your head high, stay away from the sun, don’t wear sunglasses and many other small tips that will make a big difference in your rhinoplasty recovery.
2) The second thing you should do in your rhinoplasty recovery period is to be patient! Your swelling will gradually disappear in the months following the surgery and the bruising will slowly go away (at first it’s red, then it’s a bit blue, then it becomes yellowish and goes away).
You should also be patient about seeing the result you want: most doctors will tell you that you will see the final result after a year or even a year and half, and it’s totally true! However, in the third month of your rhinoplasty recovery, your nose will be starting to look great and 80% of the swelling should have gone away (the remaining 20% of swelling will very slowly disappear but they won’t make a very big difference on the result you’ll see in a year).
3) Follow up with your plastic surgeon: normally, you will be scheduled an appointment every month in your rhinoplasty recovery phase, and that’s a good thing, because the surgeon should regularly check on your healing and he/she is the only one who will know if everything is going as expected. Your surgeon can also teach you how to tape your nose for a few weeks after surgery to help reduce the swelling and he/she will answer any question or concern you may have.
4) A good idea to apply in your rhinoplasty recovery is to take photos: take a photo every week and compare the difference, because pictures will usually make you see the difference better than your naked eyes.
In conclusion, the rhinoplasty recovery period is a road that must be filled with patience, you won’t feel pain or a big discomfort and it’s not as bad as you think, you may sometimes feel down because it’s taking a lot of time to see the result you want, but stay positive, and be sure that in 2 or 3 months you will be glad you had the surgery and you will look the best you have ever looked! So follow your doctor’s orders and be patient, that’s all what you have to do!